Friday, September 21, 2012

Endeavour's Final Flight

I saw one of the most amazing sights ever today as the Space Shuttle Endeavour (piggybacking on a 747) made its final flight today including a flyover the Golden Gate Bridge.

I was working for the SF Gate today to put the photos online from the staff and wire photographers.  My street in the Richmond District in San Francisco lines up with the towers of the Golden Gate Bridge so before the photos started to flood in I decided to grab a couple of photos with my 300 lens from outside my door.
The actual flight plan of the shuttle was unknown to anyone because of security reasons so I didn't know when and where the shuttle would come.  I was waiting outside when all the sudden, right above my house, Endeavour appeared. 
I quickly grabbed shots while it swept by.  I almost felt I could grab out and touch it.

As it flew away and got lost in a bit of fog I was excited and exhilarated by the sight.  A lady in the community garden across the street exclaimed "That was awesome!!"  I couldn't agree more!

It was a fitting way to say goodbye to the Shuttle program.  As a huge fan of the American space program I can't wait to see what is next to replace the space program I grew up with.

So long Endeavour!

No comments:

Post a Comment